Europe is the most well preserved cultural heritage, open borders and efficient infrastructure makes visiting Europe a breeze, and rarely will you have to travel more than a few hours before you can immerse yourself in a new culture. You need to add your travel bucket to visit European countries. The best thing is with one Schengen Visa you can visit the 26 countries. Check out complete details below
What is Schengen Visa?
Schengen Visa is a popular short term visa in Europe that allows you to visit the Schengen countries of the duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 day period. You can visit all Schengen countries without any border control. If you are looking for a longer stay, you might try Job Seeker Visa, Family reunion visa and others
Which countries you can visit with Schengen Visa?
You can visit below countries with Schengen visa without any restrictions
Documents to apply Schengen Visa:
- Valid passport
- Application form & declarations duly signed
- Personal covering letter with entire travel plan (itinerary)
- Leave letter from your company (if employed)
- No-objection certificate of school or university (if student)
- Flight tickets
- Travel health insurance
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page
- Payslips of the past three months/employment contract (if employed)
- Certificate of Proprietorship or other proof of ownership (proof of land title, proof of income from agriculture (sales form), etc.)
- Personal original bank statement of the past three months with sufficient funds
- 2 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
- Marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable
- Obligation letter – If you have any friends or relatives who are staying in Europe. You can request this letter and with this, you no need to submit financial proof and accommodation as it covers everything
The following additional documents required for minors
- If traveling unaccompanied by the parent(s), consent letter signed by both parents & applicant. Form signed by both parents
- Copy of the parent(s)’ passports data page
Schengen Visa Fees:
The cost of Schengen visa fees is 80 €. Children from the age of six years and below the age of 12 years shall pay a visa fee of EUR 40.
Nationals from countries with a visa facilitation agreement (as per February 2020: Armenia,
Azerbaijan, Russia, and holders of non-biometric passports from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, and Ukraine), shall pay a visa fee of EUR 35.
Embassies have different policies in accepting local and/or Euro currencies for the payment of the visa fee. Some consulates also accept payment by credit card. Please refer to the information displayed on the relevant website of the consulate in charge.
Steps to Apply:
- Plan your itinerary trip and prepare your cover letter
- Prepare the documents as mentioned above, make sure you fill the Application form online and take a printout
- Prepare Demand Draft for visa fees (Some locations accept cash, check your local website)
- Make 2 sets of copies of all your documents
- Attend visa interview and submit your documents
- Wait for 1 week to 2 weeks for visa
- Fly to Europe 🙂
Some tips for trip:
- Keep ready to eat foods like nuts, cookies, etc. This can help you save some money while traveling
- If possible, find some friends to go with you
- Get travel insurance and it’s most important for the visa as well. It can save lots of money if you fall sick
- Don’t forget to carry a Europlug adapter to charge your electronic devices.
- You can also look at some cheap flights, best deals to travel in Europe
Should I show funds if I have obligation letter?
No, If you have an obligation letter then it is not required to show bank balance or accommodation proof. Don’t forget to carry an Obligation letter while traveling. At the time of the visa interview, you can provide a copy of the obligation letter as proof of Financial and accommodation.
How long will it take to process Schengen Visa?
Should not take more than 2 weeks. Be prepared with all required documents
Can I enter multiple times with Schengen Visa?
On the visa sticker the “number of entries” is indicated: “1”, “2” or “MULT”. The holder of a multiple entry visa (“MULT”) may enter the Schengen area an unlimited number of times during the validity of the visa while respecting the rules on the duration of stay.
What is the format of cover letter for Schengen Visa?
Mention your purpose of travel, how you will fund your trip (if you have sponsor/obligation letter, mention about it), an overview of your itinerary, intent to return your country.
I am visiting multiple countries, which embassy I need to apply?
Apply to the country where you will be spending maximum no of days.